Sidewalk Jelly-bean

April 23, 2018






Curled up
on the corner
of the daily grind
and the mean streets
lay a man
and
his dog

So many
walk past
without looking
without caring
or perhaps like me 
so many days before
too tangled up
in our nest of needfuls
forever lost
 in a 5x3 
sapphire
glass
house

Until I stopped
to
see
his torn 
cardboard sign
"Blankets please"
leaned up against 
him
and
his dog

"What is your dog's name?' I ask dropping bill into the cup

"Jelly bean" he replied looking up at me, his deep blue eyes
meeting mine.  

"I am Jenny"

"Garret" - The amber haired young man said with a bright smile.  Jelly bean snarled with one snaggletooth my way "He is a bit protective" 

I smile back and say I will bring a blanket tomorrow

As I leave I think how another time, another place, another life
we could have met at a happy hour, sipping liquor and slipping numbers and notions to one another

Garret and Jelly Bean
Curl up
on the corner
beneath a burgundy blanket
I bought 
and
I walk back
through the door
of my ordinary life




NaPoWriMo/GloPoWriMo 2018 - Day 23




Jelly-Bean - In United States slang during the 1910s and early 1920s, a "Jellybean" or "Jelly-Bean" was a young man who dressed stylishly but had little else to recommend him

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram