Cache-Cache

April 06, 2018




I have become visible 
here men boys all 
see me
and smile
wandering the Place du Tertre
I am a sweet
 cake all frosted and moist
 on a beach 
full of seagulls
all peeking pecking
at my neck
nicotine stained talons wrapping along around my
waist
they draw me
in pastel
on yesterday's news
or promise of 
a crimson stain
on butcher's
 paper bed sheets
I watch them
chase each other off
until the grey feathered
gaffer
ambled over
and stared into my face
"you are timid. a bit aggressive in the eyes
closed"
I protest against this portrait
with pursed lips
"Perhaps a little sad, thinking about love"
He hands me the conclusion he has drawn in exchange
for a euro and the knowing
he has seen 
my
waxed
secret
truth




*Cache-Cache - French for Hide and Seek


Based on the prompt to write a poem that stretches your comfort zone with line breaks


You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I like it, palpable and telling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one.

    or promise of
    a crimson stain
    on butcher's
    paper bed sheets

    Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really vivid images. The contrast between what could be beautiful and sweet (Hide and seek, Place du Tertre, and frosted cake) and the ugliness (sea gulls, nicotine stained talons, and the aggressiveness of them pecking at you) is striking and evokes an emotion of unsettledness, fear and disgust. The "grey feathered gaffer" was a really creative way to send the message at the end.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram